Dallas Whitefield (One Of Us) - Why I Write

Goodmorning folks! Here's another installment for the "Leaps of (Poetic) Faith" call and response. This poem comes from Dallas Whitefield of Winterset, Iowa. A very talent spoken word artist!

Enjoy!

One Of Us - Why I Write

Why oh why do I refuse to write
Why can't I just spend the time doing what I know is right
Why never leads to answers it just causes more questions to be asked I fill my life with task after task so that I can have an excuse as to why I have yet to take the time to do the one thing I tell everyone I so desperately want to do my soul longs for the truth but my body likes to lead me away from it I become so trapped in moments that I forget to move forward with my plans instead I stand paralyzed in fear because deep down I'm scared my whole life has been a sham plus an E shame guides me to deep dark places in my brain that tell me I must bury all of the pain filled tears spilled bad memories drilled so embarrassed you feel ill upset eyes staring daggers at you so you might as well be killed taking pills because you no longer have a will to go on moments that can only be dig up with a quill as ink chisels Stone Age memories into present I am learning that writing is a gift that helps point me in the right direction such a bless like a compass arrow shooting North Star shining light in the night when everything is dark I look for it and know everything is going to be alright even when the clouds block it out for a little while when I see it again I cannot help but smile laughter fills my lungs I'm overcome with joy because I no longer have to run away writing helps me realize that there is nothing to ESCAPE from Scooby-Doo unmasked I am the hero and the villain and I am slowly learning how to be ok with that as long as my story helps others take off their masks I want to see your face I hope that you see mine I long for the day when we no longer feel the need to hide instead we can be ok with opening up the windows to our souls letting go of all the lies taking off all the disguises the truth is in your eyes what's the point in denying it we spend so much of our time learning how to wear masks we become trapped in the fantasy writing helps bring me back to reality acts like a key opening  doors that I closed so long ago writing is
Helps me realize that this life is all a one man show and I hope that I am being the person that I want to write about why oh why do I refuse to write why can't I take the time doing what I know is right I guess it's because I spend so much of my time looking at the wrong things I've done writing helps me realize that I have nothing to run away from just something to run to! Writing helps me dig up the truth with my quill shovel in hand I hope that one day i dig up who I am

Popular Posts