"Diamonds" by Sheri Grutz

Our next contribution comes from Sheri Grutz. Enjoy!



Diamonds

When you closed your eyes in my arms,

I knew I'd be a star someday that we all stop believing in,

illusion done in that darkness and pressed to show.

The skies are low and threatening as a dude and his smoke,

and you are rising higher than even my worst fear.

I've believed in you without proof of any existing light,

and still I read for hours the words you could not say.

You tell me you pray every day and I believe you when the steam

from hot coffee is at your mouth and any holy ghost would wake,

when the light on your face is strong, and you seem on your knees.

I've also wrecked my peace over so many blind, and I know you'll never

be the one who saw me for who I am, but for who the tender heart called

your own.  The belief in us is making somebody pay attention, even you,

with closed eyes, see into the sky enclosing us like a velvet pouch, all I believe

is, we can cut glass, and escape.

Popular Posts