Kendra Thompson - “Delicate”

Today is the day! Our community reading at Rozz Tox at 7PM is today! Our next poem comes from Kendra Thompson. Enjoy!

Delicate.
Time. So much of it
wasted hovering
over this washtub
quietly wondering:

Is it safe in
basement laundry
for thrift store sweater,
‘hand wash only’ -?

Life is fragile, yet
here I am, picturing
retro fibers,
likely regifting,
to a baby or maybe,
my effigy.

My faith resides
foolishly soaping,
inside these barriers,
tireless, agitating.

Gambling my wallet,
my body, my time.

Maybe it’s best
to take a chance, risking;
washing it all
on delicate spin.

Not just sweaters,
But prayerfully, everything.

Like boots in the dryer,
Petitions bumping -
lifting, dropping,
constantly rotating.  

Hang it up now,
soaked and drooping
bowed and stretching,
bound to this rack.



Even still,
something is shifting,
ablutions done,
fabrics relaxed.

Time, not much of it,
No use worrying. Seems
it’s gone now,

spilt and saturating.

Popular Posts